“The stories that each of us has are stories only we can tell. And if we don’t find a way to get those stories out into the reader’s hands, the world is a lesser place.”
I first met Mary seven years ago at a workshop she gave on writing active hooks. She blew my mind. Every sentence she uttered was pure gold. Since then I have attended several of her workshops. She’s a phenomenal speaker on all aspects of writing craft and a gifted writer. She’s published several series of the paranormal persuasion in adult and young adult categories and crafted a long list of reference books for writers.
And besides all of this, she has a large family. I figured if I wanted to know more about multiple streams of incomes for writers she’s someone I should speak to.
- there are all sorts of opportunities out there for writers
- create multiple, inter-related products
- she writes fiction, non-fiction, creates webinars and does live events
- the term writer-preneur fits the new reality
- work less, do more by repurposing content
- having kids taught her time-management
- when you finish a book consider how you can enhance it
- we need storytellers in our world – we need to value them
- feed your creative soul with the different projects
- new writers should focus on craft and then look at the business of writing
- once you have the craft and business down, then consider going wider
- “trying and learning” is part of the process – see what works for you
USA Today Bestselling author Mary Buckham learned to get into and out of trouble at a very early age. Time has added to her opportunities—detained by Israeli intelligence; strip-searched by a Greek border patrol while traveling with a priest, sneaking into Laos. When not personally avoiding nuisances caused by her insatiable curiosity she creates lots of disorder in her Urban Fantasy Invisible Recruits series. Her characters at least have paranormal and preternatural abilities!
Her Urban Fantasy series is centered around five women drafted to combat preternatural beings agitating for world domination and combines a fantasy/paranormal element with high stakes and the pace of action-adventure stories. Mary loves creating thrills, spills, and spells as she follows the ups and downs of fascinating characters starting with Alex Noziak, the heroine of INVISIBLE MAGIC, INVISIBLE POWER, INVISIBLE FATE, and INVISIBLE JOURNEY and Kelly McAllister, the heroine of INVISIBLE FEARS, INVISIBLE SECRETS and INVISIBLE EMBRACE. A prolific writer, Mary also co-authors the young adult sci-fi/fantasy Red Moon series with NYT bestseller Dianna Love.
When taking a break from the paranormal Mary crafts Writing Craft non-fiction including, A Writer’s Guide to Active Setting (Writer’s Digest Books), Writing Active Hooks and Break Into Fiction®co-authored with Dianna Love. If Mary’s not hiding out, find more about her and her writing projects by visiting:
She can also be found on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/MaryBuckhamFanPage
Twitter at http://twitter.com/MaryBuckham
Goodreads at http://www.goodreads.com/MaryBuckham.
For information on Mary’s street team, Mary Buckham’s Book Ninjas, go to facebook.com/groups/MaryBuckhamBookNinjas/
As always, Canva
Help me keep this podcast going: