- 2012 The Emotion Thesaurus became a best seller
- the second edition of this book with 55 more emotions can be pre-ordered. It will launch on Feb. 17, 2019.
- she and her writing partner Becca Puglisi have only met in person 3 times, and the longest time they were together was 48 hours, but they mesh really well (she describes their process in the interview)
- Writers Helping Writers, empowering writers by providing tools and advice. In the Tools section, they provide printable versions of materials found in their best selling books.
- One Stop for Writers, is, “.. Becci and I on steroids.” With the help of Lee Powell, who worked on Scrivener, they are using cutting-edge technology to create building tools to help writers such as a story map tool and a soon to be released character development tool, which pulls information from their fourteen thesauruses. There are a free and a paid subscription access to this site.
- all of the books, all of their work has been created to address the needs of writers
- they give money every year to a different charity. In 2018 it was Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontieres)
- one of the last books she read was, The Best Seller Code by Jodie Archer
Angela’s Tip for Writers
Slow down. Don’t be in a rush to publish. Strong writing craft takes time. It’s not a race.
The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression (Second Edition)
The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression (Second Edition) is an expanded version of the bestselling original used by authors and editors across the globe. This handy tool is a writer’s best friend, helping to navigate the difficult terrain of showing character emotion. Through an easy-to-use list format, this brainstorming resource explores 130 different emotions and provides a large selection of body language, vocal cues, visceral sensations, actions, and thoughts associated with each. Avoid overusing smiles and shrugs by going deeper to craft compelling descriptions that blend internal and external cues to match the character’s personality and emotional range.
Angela Ackerman is a writing coach, international speaker, and co-author of the bestselling book, The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, as well as five others books in the popular description thesaurus series for writers. Her books are available in six languages, are sourced by US universities, and are used by novelists, screenwriters, editors, and psychologists around the world. Angela is also the co-founder of the popular site Writers Helping Writers, as well as One Stop for Writers, an innovative online library packed with custom made tools and resources built to help writers elevate their storytelling.
Angela Ackerman, bestselling author, international speaker, and creative entrepreneur
Bestselling Writing Resources:
Newest Release: The Emotional Wound Thesaurus
20z. Prosecco, 1 1/4 oz. Aperol, a splash of soda water, a slice of orange (to drink it like the Italians, serve it in a wine glass.)
How to support this podcast: